>I wonder that noone, so far, mentioned that we had similar discussions
>on talk-de.
>Please, do not discuss only in GB.
>
>The sitiuation is even a bit more complicated because of law (especially
>for bikes) and we have foot/bicycle=official, too.
>
>I stoped using footway or cycleway at all.
>
>And do not forget emergencies which could use a track but not a path.
>
>Thanks
>colliar

Well in a nutshell, this is the debate, and how every ML conversation on the
matter ends up:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ben_robbins_/Tracks-1.png?t=1306366810

It starts in the 'blue' section.  It then goes in circles for the best part, or
it all ends with the renderer.

Either of the 3 points where I have put an exclamation mark (but not the bottom
right one) would deal with the problem I think you have described.
(Ignore the other one, it was for something else)

It's rather amazing the complexity of something so simple!

---

So really, going along the lines of 'highway=track; designation=xyz' it just
about works, but 3 issues remain.

1) It doesn't render correctly/at all.
2) The assumed access rights of highway=track in a route planner are not clear,
and/or a problem as shown in diagram.
3) The need for Highway=byway/bridleway/footway...is there one; again shown in
diagram.

Any definite answers or advice on these points from anyone?

cheers,
Ben