Ben Robbins writes:
 > >The easiest way to create order in OSM is to DOCUMENT HOW YOU MAP, and
 > >DON'T MAP IN OPPOSITION TO HOW OTHER PEOPLE MAP. We don't all need to
 > >map the same way, but the people who use the data need to understand it.
 >
 > Here I completely disagree.  Not that it's not the commonly stated
 > philosophy, but that it works.  Standardisation is everything to
 > data of any value.

That is why I said that you need to write down how your personal
standard works. That's how standards arise. People see how something
it done; it makes sense; and they do it themselves.

 > If I decide to change motorways to natural-wood then that is just wrong,

It's wrong because it violates rule #2 above.

 > but where something does exist unity is vital to good data.

Only if you can get people to agree with you, but it sounds like you
haven't been able to. You can continue to beat your head against this
wall, or you can map in a style that's documented and renderable which
doesn't conflict with what anybody else is doing. Map enough, and the
renderers will start to notice all this juicy data that they've been
ignoring. It sounds, though, like there isn't enough data using the
BenRobbins tag style to make it worth the effort to modify the
renderer. May I suggest the obvious solution to that problem?

But if you want to tag using the same tags differently than other
people use them, then I suggest that your desire is the problem that
needs to be solved; not other people's tagging habits, and not the
renderer.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog