On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Geza Gyuk <gg...@adlerplanetarium.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a little unclear if this is the method I should be using to ask about
> acceptable use of the tile.openstreetmap.org server, but here goes:
> The Adler Planetarium runs a high altitude ballooning program for kids and
> when we are out in the field chasing and retrieving the balloon we need the
> ability to plot the current location on a locally served map. I'd like to
> use the tiles (down to zoom level 15 but no further) for the regions that
> the balloon usually travels over. We are a non-profit with limited resources
> and this would be a one-time download of something on the order of 1GB of
> tiles. It could be done over a period of a week or two. Does this qualify as
> acceptable use? Or should I install Mapnik etc.?

Your balloon program for kids sounds awesome.

I presume that you want tiles to preload on your mobile devices?  That
sort of bulk tile downloading is, as Serge said, the sort of thing
that will get you blocked.  Even for a good cause like yours.

I'm sure that you'll find a Good Samaritan who will offer to generate
these tiles for you.