On 18 June 2011 01:46, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me try copyright-only examples.
>
> I can take up the full text of all of the works of William
> Shakespeare, compile it into a book with annotations, and release the
> book under CC-BY-SA. Now since the original text by Shakespeare is
> already in the public domain, I can copy those parts from the book
> without following the book's CC license. In this case, the CC license
> has no way to restrict me from doing that.
>
> Here's another example. All English Wikipedia articles are licensed
> CC-BY-SA. Most articles have images. Some images are *not* licensed
> CC-BY-SA. In fact, many of such images are included in the article
> under fair use reasoning. That doesn't give the reader the license to
> use such images under CC-BY-SA simply because they were included in
> CC-BY-SA-licensed articles.

The problem here isn't cc-by-sa, it's bigger picture stuff, from what
I understand/have been led to believe, the ODBL doesn't limit what
license produced works can be published under, outside of the EU there
is limited or no database rights, so if tiles are produced and
published under PD/CC0/CC-by/CC-by-SA there is no limitation on
deriving, selling etc etc those tiles, other than what those copyright
licenses limit you to do, obviously deriving cc-by-sa tiles would need
to be under a cc-by-sa license etc.

I don't wish to complicate this issue, but I'm led to believe that a
lot of database rights are yet to have precedents, I think this would
be pointless conjecture at this time.

Frederik and others were trying to claim there was some kind of
implied limit on derivatives, even in non-EU countries, which comes
back to my original question about minimum license, or websites
needing to have a binding contract on the end user to limit or prevent
turning information on tiles back into some kind of vector data set.

Then you have a whole other argument over what constitutes a produced
work and so on.