re-routing from talk@

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM, ThomasB <toba0...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a practical questions. If I want to generate a Garmin map for a
> larger country and want to add contour lines, it is impossible to merge the
> data only in the RAM. Hence a local temporary file is needed which would
> contain both, OSM and SRTM data. This temporary file would be deleted after
> the map creation process. Is this temporary file a "Derivative Database"
> with all legal requirements?

Dear Thomas,

Just my perspective on this.  I haven't made garmin maps with
contours, so you'll have to forgive me if I get some of the steps or
terms incorrect.

I can see good points for arguing that a contour map is any one of a
Collective Database, a Derivative Database or a Produced Work,
depending on the details of how the contour map is implemented.

I think that a strict reading of ODbL suggests that your temporary
file is a Derivative Database. Under §3.1d this is permitted,
"Creation of temporary or permanent reproductions by any means and in
any form, in whole or in part, including of any Derivative Databases
or as a part of Collective Databases;"

I think that your temporary file is also exempt from further
conditions if you do not Publicly Convey it. §4.2 "Notices. If You
Publicly Convey this Database, any Derivative Database, or the
Database as part of a Collective Database, then You must:"  If you do
not Publicly Convey the temporary file you would have no further
obligations due to it.

I presume that the final file(s) will be created from the temporary
file.  Those final file(s) would also be, in my opinion, a Derivative
Database.  Again, if you do not Publicly Convey it, and only use it
yourself, you would have no further obligations.  Otherwise, if you
plan to share, sell, etc. the file(s) you would do so under the terms
of §4 and the rest of ODbL.

In addition to  reading the ODbL, the OSM community has the
opportunity to set community norms and guidelines[2].  I would suggest
that creating maps for mobile devices is an ideal topic for such a
community norm.  These norms allow us to agree on practices that are
sensible to our community.  There has been little discussion of these
norms to date.  The Trivial Transformation guideline might well
include such a mobile map conversion.  [3]

Best regards,
Richard

[1] http://www.opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Community_Guidelines