On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Ed Loach <e...@loach.me.uk> wrote:

> But I had a look at fosm.org yesterday and they (whoever "they" are
> - is there a fosmf?)

There is no fosmf, and I rather hope there never will be.

> seem to be making the same mistake that osm.org
> did with the original CTs; should they ever need to relicense (say
> move from cc-by-sa 2.0 to 3.0) the data, then as far as I can tell
> they will need to contact all the contributors or themselves risk
> data loss.

CC-BY-SA 2.0 already has an upgrade clause and there's no intention of ever
changing the license.  If it was every necessary it would be done the right
way, by forking the project.  And anyone is free to do that at any time...

> It would perhaps be better to have their CTs now such
> that it is clear that only active contributors will be contacted if
> such a change is required and what majority will be required for a
> change to happen. Perhaps this should be discussed on
> talk-le...@fosm.org when they get as far as setting up email lists.

Since fosm.org is not about forking the community, only the license, I very
much doubt that we'll need one of those.  And I very much doubt that we'll
have anything to talk about that isn't also directly applicable to OSM
(tagging, mapping parties, imagery etc).

> I'm also curious who counts as the contributor for all the stuff
> imported from OSM; presumably it counts as a single contributor's
> imports.

No, the contributor is the person who owns the copyright.  That's you for
your contributions.

> Anyway, as this process has taken about 5 years so far I am glad it
> is reaching the end at last, and a small loss of data which with the
> rapid growth in the number of contributors should take little time
> to replace.

If only...