Tobias Knerr writes:
 > The problem is that "saving" and "committing" are, in this case, the
 > same action. While it's of course desirable to commit somewhat
 > frequently (to avoid conflicts), it's not desirable to commit your
 > unfinished in-progress edits every few seconds.
 >
 > I'm somewhat paranoid myself and tend to hit Ctrl+S frequently when
 > editing text or code. But co-developers would lynch me if I made it a
 > habit to *commit* changes to the sourcecode repository after each new
 > line of code, and for good reason.

Different thing entirely. My edit to code you're working on could
break the code so that you would have to stop coding. My edit to a map
region you're working on isn't going to stop you from editing. It
might create a conflict, but saving more often will reduce conflicts
because it will spread the edit around sooner.

So yeah. Commit working code, but commit map edits ASAP.

A changeset is just a way to collate related edits. There are tools to
revert an entire changeset, but it's not clear that that's preferable
to reverting individual edits.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog