I've come across a fair number of what I call obvious turn restrictions. Here's an example: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/1566983 The only thing being prevented by this is turning right onto Shelbyville Road from the motorway_link. But there's a cutoff to the southeast that you obviously take if you want to turn right.

So what's the point?
Any halfway-decent router will take the obvious route.
Even if a router doesn't do that, it should be clear to someone following directions that to turn right they need to take the island-separated right-turn lane(s).

The downside is that these relations lead to clutter, both in the number of times a way is split and the number of relations on a way. To give full restrictions at a simple intersection of two undivided roads with four island-separated right-turn lanes, one would need to split each road into at least four ways and create twelve relations.