Richard Mann wrote:
I think he was joking about reusing ids (he was illustrating the point
with the sort of daft temporary fix that someone might do ... if they
were daft)

Well someone has set up the system to reuse them !!!!
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/1/history
THAT is a joke :(
PLEASE can someone disable that corruption before it goes too far?