On 29.08.2011 17:47, Andrei wrote:
Are we trying to do the impossible by importing the whole planet with
just 12Gb of RAM?  Is there some trickery we can use to do the import
on this machine, or maybe another method we can use for the import?

A while ago I did import the planet on my windows machine (i7 920, 12G). I had used -C 3800. So you could give it a bit more ram.
I have no exact data, but I think it did run for two or three days.

Other steps you did look fine. If the point of your out-of-memory does correlate with the -C option is out of my knowledge. In case you do not get any better answer you could try it with this setting.

Stephan