On 9/21/2011 9:18 AM, John Sturdy wrote:
And I'd be worried about "being brought to the attention of the
authorities" for being seen pointing lasers at infrastructural things
such as electricity pylons --- do people tend to complain about having
their buildings etc visibly surveyed?

I have been successful by appearing in tourist class - GPS out of sight, but with the antenna facing skyward, and recording done by camera. Using a laser measurement tool will improve survey accuracy, but may increase the chances of raising questions. And use judgement about detailed survey of military or secure government buildings.

Having business cards helps to quickly answer questions. I've only had to show a card once.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Business_card
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/2/2c/OSM-business-cards.pdf