Hi,

On 10/12/11 12:50, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
So if I read you right, you're saying if I register a domain and buy a
server, you'll hand over administration of the OpenStreetMap
Foundation to me.

I don't think that everybody who runs a not-for-profit tileserver should be handed over administration of the OpenStreetMap Foundation. But of course everybody is welcome to run a not-for-profit tileserver and say "all proceeds go to OSMF" (provided they actually hand over the cash).

As a side note, I would also like to point out that "not-for-profit" is a very loose definition as soon as paid staff is involved.

Consider Joe Mapper who decides he wants to pay his rent by working in OSM. Scenario 1: Joe Mapper founds Joe Inc., an OSM service provider, buys servers, sells tiles, makes $50k a year and pockets them. Clearly he is an entrepreneur who makes money off of OSM and his service is not a "not-for-profit" outfit. Scenario 2: Joe Mapper convinces OSM Foundation to set up not-for-profit commercial arm providing tile services. OSMF hires Joe Mapper at (the probably lower-than-market rate of) $50k a year to run it. Oh, look! All of a sudden we have a nice little not-for-profit outfit in which Joe Mapper still makes the same money.

Bye
Frederik