On 10/26/2011 04:58 PM, Jo wrote:
[...]
> This is setup on my portable and I was wondering: Do I have to set a
> cron job for the tiles-update-expire to run every hour? What happens
> when I switch off my portable. Will the changes of the past night all
> be applied with the first run of the tiles-update-expire script? Or
> should I run this script every 20 minutes, in the morning, so it can
> catch up?

In its current version, the tiles-update-expire script runs the osmosis
minutely replication task once. As the default of osmosis is to only
collect one hour of minutely diffs at a time, this script will only
update the db by up to an hour per invocation. So if you are more than
one hour behind, you will need to run it multiple times to catch up.

I should fix the script to include the while loop within the script so
that if there are still more data to fetch it will automatically do that
and you would only need to call the script once to be fully up-to-date
again.

> I've been running it almost continuously for the past few hours and it
> always seems to have a lot of work to do...

You are probably quite a number of hours behind the db after the initial
import. Either because the import takes a while, or because your extract
is a day or so old.

> Anyway, now I'll have to work on adding layers for cycling, hiking,
> horseback and bus routes and their stylesheets.

Have fun with that.

> Thanks for making this possible,

It is great to see that this seems to help people set up their own tile
servers and play with the possibilities.

Kai