On 02/02/2012 16:23, Larry O'Neill wrote:
Hi All,

Apologies for any overlap in recipients for this - I very rarely post to mailing lists, so I am not sure how wide a net for this issue would be appropriate.

There was a discussion on the #osm irc channel recently about the possibility of approaching non-agreers to the new CT about any data they may have contributed to areas where the removal of such data could have a negative effect on our humanitarian efforts. Looking for example at how much data we stand to lose in Haiti, this is something that may limit the difficulty of those that are on the ground in these places and struggling to remap.

The possibility of haing a bounding box around areas such as these was mentioned - and there is aparantly a precedent for a users data within a BB being retained.

Any thoughts, comments, or points?

Thanks,
Larry O'Neill

Hi Larry,

It looks as though there are no specific licensing issues as regards base data/photos used in Haiti [1]. The issue appears to be confined to mappers who have been active in the area but have either declined or not yet responded to requests to re-license? [2]

We will need their individual permissions, the simplest way being just to ask them to respond to the new terms. Friendly, courteous messages coming from individual mappers working in the same area have been highly effective in a number of countries. I would expect it to be doubly so here. We can then revisit the issue in say, two weeks time and see if anyone is left.

I am immediately going to ask for a Haiti/Dominican Republic link to be added to http://odbl.de/ and http://odbl.poole.ch/ Then you can just read off the names and status.

Meanwhile, you can use the OSMI License View tool to get started. Here is an incomplete list I just grabbed using it:

Exponent, Brent Miller, cetest, osmapb1, Tinono, rendle, Tinono, EvaStern, robbert, Sidneyleenen, Elle_M, DDDarek, veugelke, Mirko Küster, Eddy Frometa, Alfredo Gil, Jochen Plumeyer, llibre

It is good know their status. You can do that by feeding them into http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/xxxx or seeing if they are on

http://odbl.poole.ch/central-america-20111208-20120201-poly.html

This wiki page can be used to coordinate efforts:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Asking_users_to_accept_the_ODbL

Please do not hesitate to coordinate with us at le...@osmfoundation.org . We will do our best to assist.

Mike
License Working Group

[1]. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue (Appears to be only Digital Orthophotos)

[2] http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=wtfe&lon=-71.35913&lat=18.22309&zoom=7&opacity=0.69&overlays=overview,wtfe_point_clean,wtfe_line_clean,wtfe_point_harmless,wtfe_line_harmless,wtfe_point_modified,wtfe_line_modified_cp,wtfe_line_modified,wtfe_point_created,wtfe_line_created_cp,wtfe_line_created