On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 13:51 +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Am 26. Februar 2012 12:57 schrieb Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk>:
> > My problem is that where one of these roads crosses the path of the
> > disused Wellington to Market Drayton railway, there is a stone bridge
> > over the road with a height restriction. For a working railway this is
> > easy, but the disused railway tag seems to have no bridge attributes. I
> > have added them, but no bridge has appeared on the map.
>

> For the height restrictions: they do apply to the road and will be
> tagged on the highway, not on the bridge. I also often add
> additionally a node with traffic_sign=maxheight and maxheight=xy
> besides the way (so that you can guess the direction if you know
> whether people drive on the left or on the right) where the sign is to
> be found. This way it gets easier for following mappers to decide
> until where the restriction applies.

Thanks Martin

I had always assumed it was the bridge that was the restriction, but
having looked at a few known low bridges I can see how it should be
done. And can think of a few other bridges, on live railways that I need
to revisit.

In this case the sign is a triangular warning, with white lines on the
the bridge to guide high vehicles through the centre of the arch. There
is no circular sign which would indicate high vehicles are legally
prohibited. Any enforcement will be carried out by a victorian stone
bridge and the catch all offence of 'driving without due care and
attention'.

Thanks again, Phil