mick <bare...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 20:16:18 +0000
> Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have found some interesting stuff whilst playing with routing on
> > http://open.mapquest.org (which uses OSM). Have found that it cannot
> > route to Shrewsbury.
> >
> > Have found that the town waypoint has been put in the middle of a
> retail
> > area, with pedestrianised streets around. Am guessing it is because
> it
> > is too far from a road. It works if I ask for High Street,
> Shrewsbury.
> >
> > Have moved it so that it is close to High Street and once mapquest
> has
> > updated the map I will see if it works again. But maybe this is
> > something else we should consider.
> >
> > A good example of TomTom/google getting it wrong is Ironbridge,
> where it
> > leads you into a back street, rather than the centre i.e. the
> bridge.
> >

> My Navman (MY50 I think) also has problems generating a route to just
> a town or suburb without a street name.
>
> At the times these towns developed very few people had a car and even
> fewer had sat-nav units so the 'rule of thumb' didn't need to take
> vehicular access into account. Now social engineers have had their
> evil way, the 'rule' joins dinosaurs, woolly mammoths and this old
> System/370 operator on the dusty shelves of the museum and its up to
> the new generations to clean up our mess.
>
> mick

Another issue you are likely to encounter is a town that has grown in an
asymmetric manner, so that the current geometric center is offset, perhaps by a
large amount, from the historic center point.  This is particularly true where
a natural barrier, such as a lake, adjoins the town.

Here in the USA, some small towns that have experienced most of their growth
during the automobile age are essentially one-dimensional, extending for
several miles along a main road, but extending only a block or two at right
angles to that main road.

--
John F. Eldredge --  j...@jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to