----- Original Message ----- From: "Russ Nelson" <nel...@crynwr.com>
To: "Paul Norman" <penor...@mac.com>
Cc: <talk@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 2:42 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] ODbL-clean Coastlines

Paul Norman writes:
> I have been running a nightly coastline generation on my server, using > the > latest data from my jxapi server. Tonight I switched it over to filter > out > data that WTFE reports as dirty. This is somewhat more aggressive than > the
> rebuild will be, but the results are worrisome.

Nahhhh, not particularly. If you've looked at the PGS, you'll see that
it is 99% crap. My problem with it is that 1) it's public domain, 2)
imported by an anonymous user, 3) I fixed it in my region, leaving
nothing remaining from the original import except the node and way
existence, BUT (you knew there was a but) without the odbl=clean tag
that I added, it would have been deleted. Or, at least, OSMI says it
would have been deleted.

Why are we deleting public domain data from OSM? If it says
source=PGS, it should not be deleted no matter who did the import.
If it was subsequently edited by a decliner, well, that's different.

I guess there are at least two problems.

Firstly the PGS import script had a "simplification factor" variable, which the person running the import could change. I know that prior to doing my imports I played "around with" a number of different values for this variable to strike what I thought was an acceptable trade off between number of nodes created, and the complexity of the resulting ways. Therefore what was uploaded to OSM was not simply PGS data, but was PGS data as amended by my decision making process. I guess you would have to know if the user who did the imports in question made any similar changes.

Secondly you could use the PGS import script in two ways. Either (i) run the script against the PGS data and let the script directly upload to OSM ; or (ii) use script to create an OSM file, which could then be edited in JOSM, and then use JOSM to upload the data. If choosing method (ii) you were then able to look at the data in JOSM and make corrections to it before uploading to OSM. Although when doing my imports I started using (i) I later switched to method (ii) because that way what I uploaded to OSM was more error free. Had I now been a CT decliner I see no legal difference between the resulting data in this instance and data which "If it was subsequently edited by a decliner, well, that's different".

David

It's particularly galling that anonymous users who haven't accepted or
declined are having their copyright respected. If you don't post your
land *with your name and address* in New York State, you cannot
successfully pursue a claim of trespass.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog