Hi,

Does anyone know of applications in the OSM ecosystem that systematically
download large areas' worth of Bing Aerial tiles?
The license[0] implies that this is not allowed because 1) you cannot
'copy, store, archive, or create a database of the content' (par.2) and 2)
you must be 'using only methods and means of access that are documented in
the SDKs described at the end of this agreement'.
Both these limitations are not 100% clear because 1) does not preclude the
act of downloading itself, only storing and 2) refers to the Bing SDK
documentation [1] which describes the Bing AJAX and Silverlight controls,
and some other less relevant ones. This would preclude direct tile access
as this is not described in those docs (as far as I can see). I presume
that is what P(2) and JOSM do though?

Anyway, I know of one app that circumvents the Bing SDK and pulls metadata
through direct tile access and HEAD requests and that's my very own Bing
Imagery Analyzer[2] - but that's hardly systematic consumption. I do need
to provide an API key for the Bing AJAX SDK that I use for the app, but I
get away with firing the HEAD requests on the individual files.. So what is
'allowed usage' for OSM, and are there apps that operate in the grey area
like my analyzer, by circumventing the SDK?

Best
Martijn

[0] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Bing_license.pdf
[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd877180.aspx