On 2012-03-29 at 11:06:38 +0200, Jochen Topf wrote:
> The storage part is not true any more. Bing used OSM data to mask out military
> areas in Germany, so the Bing images are now automatically CC-BY-SA.

No, they are not.

If they did that (I haven't followed the related threads and I don't
know exactly what happened) they would be in violation of our
copyright. One of the way the could stop that violation would be
to release the images under CC-BY-SA, another just as legitimate
would be to stop distributing them.

Having a license applying in an automatic way would not make sense:
consider the case of product X owned by A and given under a restrictive
license to B (the usual case with areal pics, btw); if B used
X together with CC-BY-SA (or GPL) licensed product Y, A would
find their product released under another license

1. against their will,
2. through no fault of their own.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''