>We should really not follow the approach of making the map at
www.openstreetmap.org perfect but instead the data >behind it because
that's where we're better than Google and Co.

Agreed, but if we improve the rendering at osm.org, we should be able to
highlight the issue that some users are filling the database with nonsense
names. At the same time, the people that want to see "name= (name:en=)" on
their osm.org tiles will be able to.

Once the rendering is tweaked to give the results people want, the data
would be presumably cleaned up quite quickly.

Joseph