On 2012-04-16 14:15, Joseph Reeves wrote:

As for Korea:

Should we add name:ko=서울특별시?
 >Otherwise, how do we know the Korean name for this city?

It seems to me that adding name:ko is duplicating data. We should be
using the local names for the name: tag, so the Korean can go in
there. I would then have this rendered as "name= (name:en=)" on the
osm.org [8] mapnik tiles. Such a system could presumably be used
worldwide (although I'm sure there are plenty of people that would
disagree). Having said that, adding name:ko= isn't going to hurt and
may be of use to other data consumers.

Hopefully with worldwide you mean only the countries that do not use latin script. It would not be pretty to see München (Munich) or worse: Bruxelles - Brussel (Brussels).

Regards,
Maarten

On 16 April 2012 13:58, Andrew Errington <a.erring...@lancaster.ac.uk
[9]> wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:40:40 Joseph Reeves wrote:
>  >We should really not follow the approach of making the map at
>
> www.openstreetmap.org [1] perfect but instead the data >behind it
because
> that's where we're better than Google and Co.
>
> Agreed, but if we improve the rendering at osm.org [2], we should
be able to
> highlight the issue that some users are filling the database with
nonsense
> names. At the same time, the people that want to see "name=
(name:en=)" on
> their osm.org [3] tiles will be able to.
>
> Once the rendering is tweaked to give the results people want,
the data
> would be presumably cleaned up quite quickly.

Absolutely!  And I think that this particular issue could be
cleaned up
automatically by a 'bot, with an exception report sent to the
country-specific talk mailing list for anything that needs to be
handled
manually.

The reason that Japan and Korea have bilingual labels is because
mappers want
it that way.  Since Mapnik did not provide it, they did it
themselves.  Now
newer software is capable of doing automatically, so we should
revisit the
issue.

Should I simply open a ticket on Mapnik's issue tracker, to request
that in
Korea, labels be rendered as "name:ko (name:en)"?

On a related note, and using Claudius's example:

name=서울특별시
name:el=Σεούλ
name:en=Seoul
name:ko_rm=Seoulteukbyeolsi
name:ru=Сеул

Should we add name:ko=서울특별시?

Otherwise, how do we know the Korean name for this city?

Best wishes,

Andrew

Links:
------