On 22/05/12 12:13, Lester Caine wrote:
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> 2012/5/21 Rob Nickerson<rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com>:
>>> p.s. Personally I feel that cycle TRACKS would be much easier to map if
>>> drawn as a separate highway=cycleway (despite any challenges the
>>> renderers
>>> and routers currently have with this) - it just makes things a lot
>>> easier!!
>>
>> +1, it is also more consistent and simple (seperate carriageway =
>> distinct way).
>
> Personally I think we are reaching the point in a lot of areas where
> representing a complex road as a single way simply because it's easier
> for the renderers and routers is becoming a hindrance generally. Adding
> tags for sidewalk, cycletrack and other details such as barriers between
> carriageways is something that should just happen automatically from the
> real mapped features? Not something that needs to be created manually
> ignoring the features themselves ...

The major problem I have with splitting cycleways of the highway is the
missing reference to the highway. In Germany you have to use a cycleway
by law (with some exceptions) and if the cycleway and the highway are
mapped as two highways I do not get the information if the cycleway
belongs to the road (have to use) or if it is a seperate road (can use).
E.g. we need to find a solution how to connect all the objects of a road.

Cheers
Colliar