At 2012-06-17 20:51, Alex Rollin wrote:
I am looking into how to use custom imagery for tracing.

Can anyone point me at a process, and how-to?

I was looking at the Digital Globe site, thinking of buying some images.

I've used the PicLayer plugin for JOSM successfully. It has tools to stretch/compress and align the image correctly and then save the resulting calibration for future use. It's suitable for a reasonably small area - ideally one screenful at the res that you want to map, but you could zoom up a level or two without hurting your results too much (i.e. 16 screens' worth of image).

Basically, you need calibration targets on the image with known lat/lon values. Normally, you have this for at least the four corners. If there is another in the middle, that's even better for verification. You then use the PicLayer tools to align those points with the same lat/lon in the JOSM viewport.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>