2012/7/3 Tapio Sokura <oh2...@iki.fi>:
> I'm planning on purchasing a new handheld GPS unit for general purpose
> outdoor use as well as OSM mapping. I've previously used a Garmin gpsmap
> 60csx, in which I really liked the feature that saves raw tracklogs also to
> the microsd card in gpx format.
>
> Do any of the newer models support this kind of automatic
> raw-tracklog-to-card functionality? The touch screen Montana/Oregon/Dakota
> and gpsmap 62/78 series?

Last time I looked at this the 62-series did NOT store the tracks on
the micro-SD-card like the 60csx does. It stores the tracks on the
1.7GB internal memory (so yes, this is also quite "infinite", but it
is not the same, e.g. you can't use an external card-reader to get
these tracks). The newer models like the 62series also seem to have an
automatic track-compression you cannot turn off (so no "raw"
tracklogs) if I recall right.

You can find a lot of info about these devices also in the osm-wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin/GPS_series

cheers,
Martin