Svavar Kjarrval wrote:
I was thinking about roughly the same idea except the process is a bit
different. There could be an alternate usage through references. Something like
[de] in the name tag could indicate a reference to name:de. A semicolon in the
name tag could be used to indicate the order of languages to display or backups
in case the name:* in the front of the line don't exist.

The use of ':' in a key is well establish as flagging a language specific version, so one would not touch that. The 'name=' defaulting to a specific 'lang=' setting makes sense, and can be over-ridden when downloading tag data by a client specific setting. The only addition that needs handling is to sort out just what goes into 'lang=' when more than one language is required by the on the ground situation. In my opinion, we just select a suitable single character separator and add the tag with an appropriate list if required. I don't think you want to start messing with 'name=' itself in this case? But the tools should be able to override the 'name=' tag with a more suitable local option based on a local 'lang=' setting.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL