Am 09.08.2012 17:51, schrieb Rob Nickerson:
Hi all,

One of the issues raised with the extended conditions tag schema was the use of variable values in the key part of the tag. For example maxspeed:wet = 80 is in the form constant:variable=variable. This has been deemed to break the basic tagging rules.

Can I therefore give alternative suggestions:

  *  maxspeed=120; 80?wet; 60?wet+hgv

Here '?' can be interpreted as 'if' and '+' as 'and'. Many alternatives can be proposed using alternate symbols (or none at all). In fact, it is already in use:

  *  opening_hours=Mo-Sa 10:00-20:00; Tu off

This is off the form constant=condition value; condition value. Using this existing schema, the maxspeed example becomes:

  *  maxspeed=120; wet 80; wet+hgv 60

Advantages: Easy to reduce back to the basic condition, editors can implement this in a fancy GUI; expandable, can use bots to analyse/fix
+1
I would "require" to always set the unconditioned maxspeed at first before the ";", so a fallback may be implemented easily if an application don't want to interpret the conditions.

one open question would be how to deal with units in this combination: mph, m/h, km/h, and the usual errors mp/h, kmh, and so on, but I think even that should be relatively easy to do, as the numbers are always the last token before the separator (;), and if there's anything between number and separator, that could be interpreted as a unit.

regards
Peter