On 10/08/12 12:08, Peter Wendorff wrote:
Am 10.08.2012 12:29, schrieb Andrew:
Peter Wendorff <wendorff <at> uni-paderborn.de> writes:

one open question would be how to deal with units in this combination:
mph, m/h, km/h, and the usual errors mp/h, kmh, and so on, but I think
even that should be relatively easy to do, as the numbers are always the
last token before the separator (;), and if there's anything between
number and separator, that could be interpreted as a unit.
Another alternative (assuming this kind of thing needs editor support anyway)
is to convert units in the editor.
no, I don't think this is a good way, as then anybody has to deal with strange numbers that are different from on-the-ground. I don't want to have numbers like 18,6411358 [mph] for a 30km/h limit in the database, and if we would start with that, it get's incredible ugly and difficult as soon as anybody starts rounding different.

+1

Conversions of, say, speed limits doesn't follow the 'on the ground' guidance. I see a speed limit of 30, meaning 30 mph not 48.28032 or whatever.

On the other hand, if the britains would use SI units (that are afaik mostly metric), from my personal point of view that would be okay, but I don't think it's a useful approach.

No European countries use the SI units for most road signs, speed limits are in kilometres per hour not metres per second, weight restrictions are in tonnes not kilogrammes, waiting times are in hours and minutes not seconds.

The UK adopted the metric system in 1975, the change-over continues to take longer than some people would like. :-)

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly