Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
The French cadastre imports are, as you know, a rather controversial
>>subject. In my opinion it is a dataset that doesn't actually increase
>>the usefulness of the OSM dataset for most users (building outlines
>>without addresses just don't really help with anything)
>Building outlines are an essential component of topographical maps,
>which have all sorts of uses. Buildings are an essential feature of
>flight simulator scenery that does not look dead. Building outlines help
>in identifying the position of localities. Even if you believe that OSM
>is only about roads, building outlines help in pointing to where ways
>may be missing. And I'm sure I have missed many other uses.

+1, building outlines also help to interpret urban typology, they are
useful when it comes to surveying housenumbers or ubicating POIs at
there correct spot, ...

And at this point the mechanism for applying updates from the data source becomes more important?

Still having to pull apart 'road-centric' data in the local area where everything is linked to the one way, I have no worry about adding this sort of data. It makes adding details like 'footpaths' as their own elements rather than some vague tag on a roadway meters away from it. Provided that we all follow the same rules when adding this sort of fine detail.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL