It is harder to build because there is added functionality. You have to replace
auto ID generation, which isn't too complicated. I'm not sure what you mean
about robustness.

Another issue this would cause is a bigger time delay on the server.

I don't think it would be a good idea unless we really need common ids across
servers. If so this has the benefit that no code changes except in the
assignment of ids on the server.

Sent from my iPhone