This is a very interesting thread and I need a little more time to
understand what is in it so far. I do want to make one technical
comment. It is possible to to have multiple databases and still have
unique IDs across them. An ID server can be set up to create the IDs.
When one database creates a new object it requests an ID from the ID
server rather than creating an ID locally. (And of course, if you are
creating a lot of IDs, you would make one request to the ID server in
bulk to get all the IDs needed.)

Dave