Hi,

I think we should perhaps add a new section in the cadastre documentation:
the purpose of the cadastre, and the way it is made.

In France you need to ask for a permission from the public authority (the
municipalities) before to make a new building. It include a detailed map of
what you want to do. This is the map added to the cadastre (at least the
local copy), each time an authorisation is asked. So the data in the
cadastre is an aggregation of every building map provided by the
"architects" (not always the case).
But you are also authorized to build some new extension of a house without
to ask permission, if the new build is under a predefined size or kind of
building. So, many people are adding new portion of building just at the
limit size, that's why we can sometime see small part of building on the
cadastre. It can be not visible from the street or aerial imagery, but it
is still the reality of the building !

All the wall=no polygon are build on the same kind of rules: you need to
ask for an authorization if you build a "full" house with foundation, but
you can do almost what you want if the building as no foundation,
especially in the case of agricultural buildings (which seem to be the case
of our current example). So if you build something without real wall, or
without a roof, it's identified in a different way on the cadastre map.

Sylvain