2012/9/28 Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk>:
> I did put my hand up for a tag which is automatically applied for those of
> us who forget it ;) If I have a background layer up it automatically adds
> that tag to each object. If I'm selecting stuff from another source then
> that gets added. ALL of this could well be in one change set, and in fact I
> may switch between bing and OS layers simply to add other details, so a
> 'changeset' tag would not be suitable? But AUTOMATICALLY adding that data
> per object would mean that it does get added :)

would you also opt for automatically removing these tags, e.g. when a
imagery layer is not activated and I move a node? Are you advocating
multivalue-source-lists if during the edit of an object the mapper
looked at several different images?

Honestly I am against a automatic mechanism to add tags, and I'd also
doubt that these tags would improve our data quality. I see a huge
overhead for really little benefit. Please think about it: what is the
benefit for other mappers to know that you traced over imagery
provider A's imagery and not that of B? Either you think it is correct
or you don't and you will improve it. In rare cases it might help you
to know whether this is based on outdated sources, but more often you
will already see this by the date of the edit. If the original source
is outdated and you know this from knowledge of the real situation you
will anyway improve the data.

You might be able to find areas which are based on outdated imagery to
resurvey. but you can find inactive areas just as well by looking at
the changes and dates of them. Even more, a comment like "tracing from
bing aerial imagery" doesn't even tell you which version of their
imagery you used (supposedly that around the time the edit was done,
but  you won't know in 2 years time which version or which date this
was, especially if it isn't your "home region").

It mostly boils down to the simple question: does the mapper have
local knowledge or doesn't he. Did he recently survey the area?

That's not enough reason to stuff the db with mostly pointless
metadata like active imagery layers in the editor during  an edit. It
might be an idea to add this information automatically to changesets.

Btw.: does anybody on this list know if there is metadata for Bing
(for a given area) available (all based on the zoomlevel of course,
e.g. when did they survey, what was the resolution, where are the
seems of their imagery/survey, if the data is not from them, who
originally produced it, etc.)

cheers,
Martin