Janko Mihelić wrote:
Nobody answered yet. How is copying from Streetview photos not the same as
copying from satellite photos? Both are photos, both show facts, both are owned
by Google.

Yet everybody agrees we shouldn't copy from satellite photos, but many people
think we can copy from Streetview.

What is the difference?

Tracing details from satellite images is creating a derived work and is copying. However if you could SEE a road name on the satellite images then simply reading something that is in the public domain can not be protected in the same way. Looking at an image on Streetview is no different to looking at the same image from any source. If a street name just happens to be visible, or the name of a shop or business one can then use that information, cross check against another search engine that it's not an 'Easter Egg' and there is no way one source can claim special rights over that information. There is no way that anybody could prove that a CORRECT public fact was copied from one source or another ... only ones designed to deceive which in my view are a worse offence? In my own case businesses are now well out of date with many of the Streetview images anyway but Google still returns those years after they ceased to exist. We can then provide up to date data but we are not allowed to say 'Wrong on Streetview'?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL