On 11/22/2012 01:25 AM, nicholas.g.lawre...@tmr.qld.gov.au wrote:
> I check out my place of work in openstreetmap.
>
> I am a bit confused that the building (a tower of offices) is represented
> twice.
> There is a large building footprint over the entire grounds that is tagged
> "Offices" and inside this is a smaller building footprint tagged "Building".
>
> Now, the large footprint includes carparks and gardens, so I don't consider
> it
> to be a genuine building footprint.
>
> Would it be valid to get rid of the large, outer footprint?
>
> And, should the smaller footprint be tagged twice, as both a office and a
> building? Or does the tag "Office" imply that it is a "Building" anyway?

"Offices" and "Building" are the simplified representations of the real
tagging some people think make things clearer for new people, but are
actually causing confusion like here.

Click on "Advanced" in the lower left corner or press "T" to see the
real tagging.

The big polygon "Offices" has the real tag landuse=commercial, so it is
not a building outline. The smaller polygon "Building" has the tag
building=yes. You can also specify what kind of building it is in the
"Basic" tab. If you pick "Office building" the smaller polygon gets the
real tag building=office.

In other words don't delete the one off the polygons, as they map
different concepts.

--
---
m.v.g.,