> > I check out my place of work in openstreetmap.
> >
> > I am a bit confused that the building (a tower of offices) is
> represented twice.
> > There is a large building footprint over the entire grounds that is tagged
> > "Offices" and inside this is a smaller building footprint tagged "Building".
> >
> > Now, the large footprint includes carparks and gardens, so I don't
> consider it
> > to be a genuine building footprint.
> >
> > Would it be valid to get rid of the large, outer footprint?
> >
> > And, should the smaller footprint be tagged twice, as both a office and a
> > building? Or does the tag "Office" imply that it is a "Building" anyway?
>
> "Offices" and "Building" are the simplified representations of the real
> tagging some people think make things clearer for new people, but are
> actually causing confusion like here.
>
> Click on "Advanced" in the lower left corner or press "T" to see the
> real tagging.
>
> The big polygon "Offices" has the real tag landuse=commercial, so it is
> not a building outline. The smaller polygon "Building" has the tag
> building=yes. You can also specify what kind of building it is in the
> "Basic" tab. If you pick "Office building" the smaller polygon gets the
> real tag building=office.
>
> In other words don't delete the one off the polygons, as they map
> different concepts.

Ah, I see that slightly to the north west is a school where the school
grounds are one big polygon and the individual buildings are building
footprints. So that's a good example.

I look at the tags for the building footprint in the "Basic" tab, and
I get the option of "Building" and "Public Building" but I don't
see the tag "Office Building"

So the tags for the smaller polygon are;
building = yes
amenity = public_building

Which I suppose is correct, since the offices are government offices?
Or is amenity = public_building reserved for stuff like museums, art

galleries and libraries?

Cheers,
Nick

WARNING: This email (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was
intended to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way. No one
is allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this email without appropriate authority.

If this email was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or email me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this email and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this email is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this email does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this email do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Department of Transport and Main Roads,
or endorsed organisations utilising the same infrastructure.