Robin Paulson wrote:
i've done some quite detailed editing near where i live, i'd appreciate anyone
who is interested taking a look and responding.

i'm not sure what to make of the result. for one, my partner, a non-mapper, has
told me she finds it very confusing, which potentially raises questions

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.91503&lon=174.77973&zoom=16&layers=M

Just keep up the good work ;)
How things are displayed are a matter for the renderers but if the information is not there it can't be displayed.

We do need a consistent way of adding the finer detail, but the available tags are currently providing that quite well. My own fine detail work is looking similar to yours ... http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.04891&lon=-1.85708&zoom=17&layers=M

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL