You could as

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Michal Migurski <m...@teczno.com> wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Jeff Meyer wrote:
>
>> Are there any tools that can tip users to what they could do in a particular
>> map area?
>>
>> For example, for a given bb(zoom>some min) in a browser window, is there
>> anything that says:
>> - Hey, relative to other (or selected best-practice examples) areas like the
>> one you're viewing, this area has:
>> -- Fewer addresses - learn how to add
>> -- Fewer buildings - learn how to add
>> -- Fewer POIs - learn how to add
>> -- POIs that would normally have buildings, but don't (e.g. schools)
>> -- Zorro Ways - learn how to fix
>> -- There's a park with no trails - learn how to add
>> -- etc.
>>
>> In general, I'm thinking of something that will help new users answer the
>> question, "How can I help?," particularly for their local 'hood without
>> sending them to too (too) many off-map web resources. Or even a suggestive
>> OSM Inspector?
>
> Geofabrik has the Inspector tool, which is a bit inside-baseball but does a
> great job of surfacing a variety of common tagging and geometry problems:
>
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/debug.html?view=geometry&lon=-122.29381&lat=37.80892&zoom=11&opacity=0.29
>
> http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/debug.html?view=tagging&lon=-122.33638&lat=47.55957&zoom=11&opacity=0.29
>
> It'd be interesting to develop code for some of the more wish-listey items
> you suggest, like parks with no trails or buildingless-POIs.
>
> -mike.

How about OpenStreetBugs (http://openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org/)?
Encourage people to add details of errors and omissions that they have
noticed that they can't or don't know how to fix.  Then encourage
everyone else to take a look there from time to time and fix the
things they can.

I sometimes use OpenStreetBugs to leave notes for myself.  I will make
a note of something to do later, then, later, I can go and fix it, or
maybe someone else had time to do it instead.

Best wishes,

Andrew