On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> what kind of data would you want to see?

Data supported by numbers, external studies, some employment of the
scientific method that include evaluation of alternatives or the absence of
what has been done, rather than long speculations in email.

Data kind of like what you ask for here:

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:29 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Without any research into this, you cannot conclude that those who sign up
> would have been mappers if only our web interface was more like Facebook.

I've started putting together a collection of this type of information at:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User_Studies

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> I would like a lean and project-driven organisation that supports
> individual, clear-cut projects - from the small "let's build a system that
> allows mappers to invite everyone in their vicinity to an event" to the
> large "let's build a system that makes sure OSM editing still works if the
> university where our central server sits goes offline", or things like
> "let's try to have one mapping party in each country of the world",
> whatever.

Fantastic.

If this is true, why are most of your reactions to suggestions explanations
of why those suggestions are bad ideas?

Why not just say, "Hey, good idea. Go for it. Here's a link to the typical
process for getting new features added"?

You do go on to loosely describe this process in more detail, and I'll
probably adapt that for more wiki documentation.

That said, your first reaction to the suggestion of adding routing to the
home page is negative. Then, later, you describe one routing effort you've
been working on as good - and - it sounds like someone's already made a
decision to add it to OSM.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> by the time we'll run it on osm.org it will be relatively mature.

Criticizing an idea without revealing that you're involved with a similar
project. What's up with that?

Has a decision been made that that *is* the routing engine that will be
added to OSM? If so, great. I look forward to it. Has that been publicized
in the community?

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:04 AM, Roland Olbricht <roland.olbri...@gmx.de>
 wrote:

> Please just step back for a moment and take into account to possibility
> that OSM is more like a market and less like an organization.

Except, in an market, I don't have people telling me that I'm not allowed
to buy Pepsi, Coke, Fanta, or whatever, even those items are for sale and I
have the money and I'm not breaking any laws. The contrary seems to be the
norm here on this & other OSM lists.

Richard's comments support this perception, as well as the perceptions
about receptivity to new features.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:09 AM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>wrote:

> But really, why bother? You'll only get crap thrown at you for doing so.
> Every time there's even a modest layout improvement to the front page, all
> hell breaks loose on some forum or other and there's an outcry of "Why
> wasn't I consulted?".

Thing is, if you actually look below the surface of the lists and the
> diaries and the chat snipers and all of that, there's a huge, silent layer
> of contributors new and old, just as there's always been, quietly getting
> on
> with mapping the world (when, that is, they're not being angry-messaged by
> "experienced" users to say YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG). They're the guys who
> make
> OSM what it is, not the voices on the lists. But I'm not strong enough to
> ignore the noisy ones, and I wish I was.

Agreed. Part of the reason I speak up on these lists is because the angry
and discouraging voices shouldn't be allowed to dominate.

- Jeff

--
Jeff Meyer
Global World History Atlas