On 10 January 2013 02:41, Tom Morris <t...@tommorris.org> wrote:
> Scenarios where people are going to get upset over OpenStreetMaps are
> considerably fewer than ones where people get upset with Wikipedia. (In fact,
> when people do get upset about maps, they'll usually get upset with Wikipedia
> too. At WikiConference India, members of the nationalist BJP protested
> because of Wikipedia's map and description of the situation in Kashmir.*)

Though offtopic , the same group also has another set of gang or
groups which vandalises the wikipedia articles and you can hardly see
any political articles on India with NPOV ( Neutral Point Of View)
because a major group of editors come from a certain group and are
well versed with all kinds of rules which wikipedia editors use to
remove/revoke/edit an article .

Coming to mapping in India , Kashmir might be the one border issue
where  "International territory "  and "line of Control" are two
different lines and can be interpreted by various cartographers  in
whatever way it pleases them .  Google maps India doesnt even show the
line of control , google maps US shows it as a dotted line , OSM shows
it as bordder .

I would admit the fact that OSM is not that popular ( atleast in
India) that people who vandalise articles in wikipedia havent yet
started . Lets say it to the advantage of the tools being hard to use
even for the wikipedia editor , also would be the other fact that
there is less data here(India) for them to seriously consider OSM as a
map which needs to be checked up / bothered with .   Google enjoys the
complete dominant position with people fighting editor wars in
mapmaker .

Personally am I waiting for a surge of mappers ? No I am not , I would
rather see a surge in mapping and effective usage of tags , hopefully
which the future editors could clearly include some 2 minutes of
tagging tutorial .

Regards,
Pavithran

--