On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Alex Barth <a...@mapbox.com> wrote:
> ## Proposal
>
> Inspired by successful campaigns like "Intel Inside" and "Fair Trade", this
> RFC proposes an OpenStreetMap contributor mark for use on OpenStreetMap based
> maps. The goal of the OSM contributor mark is to be adopted by as many OSM
> data users as possible and on as many OSM based maps as possible, thus
> creating more awareness of the value of free and open geographic data.

this sounds like an interesting idea. it's worth noting that the ODbL
requires a textual attribution, and we suggest a link to the
"copyright" page [1] where it is appropriate to the medium. are you
suggesting that the OSM contributor mark would be an additional,
voluntary, on-screen display?

from your examples it seems that you'd consider this mark to be a
replacement for the required textual attribution - is that right?

also, i am confused by the "contributor" part of it - isn't this an
"OSM data user mark"?

> With these goals in mind
>
> - the mark should be compelling and recognizable (i.e. not generic).

i find this hammer-in-teardrop symbol to be very generic, and not very
compelling.

> - it should work off maps in cases where thumbnail maps need to be attributed
> e.g. in mobile devices
> - the mark should be clearly distinct from common map user interface elements.
> - the mark should link to a page on openstreetmap.org that explains the
> openness of OSM data and its local, community driven nature.

this sounds like a general "about" page to me. which is fine - we need
a good "about" page, and the example you've given looks good. a few
points i noticed:
 - its very graphically heavy
 - the explanation its trying to provide is mostly off-screen, and (at
least on my display) initially occupies a tiny area in the lower left
of the screen. if this is the important part of the page, rather than
the picture, shouldn't it be more prominent?
 - as ppawel has already pointed out, it's pretty radically and
confusingly differently styled to the rest of the OSM sites.
 - (minor) probably better to link to learnosm than the wiki? seems
rather cruel to subject someone to the wiki when it might be only the
second OSM page they see ;-)

cheers,

matt