On 2013-02-04 07:02, Michal Migurski wrote:
which concerns me no end. what position of authority does simon hold? over whom?

Simon is the elected chairman of the OSMF board, and can speak on its
behalf. He holds a position of authority over the Geocode Inc. issue
because apparently the foundation received a C&D.

what significance does the osmf board hold? they speak for themselves, not anyone else.

That's exactly the question at hand in this particular argument.

We seem to have an OSMF that's not effective at communicating, and
large parts of the community don't see the value they offer. Your
takeaway is that the board is not representative of the project and
should not exist at all. My feeling is that a project needs a

no, my takeaway is that any time a small group attempts to represent a larger group, necessarily there will be problems, therefore we should not have a small group such as the board attempting to represent 30,000 individuals who map

political structure to survive. In either case, Geocode Inc. believes

when you say "the project", you imply the people who contribute can be fashioned into a unity. i am fundamentally against that, it is flawed thinking. we are a multitude [1], not a singular, and thus we cannot be represented by anything less than ourselves.

that the OSMF are the right people to receive a C&D.

Ultimately, someone needs to own the domain name and the API and the
servers it runs on. That's who the Geocodes of the world are going to

well, if we assume that certain resources are best centralised, and thus controlled by a single entity. i don't, again that is flawed as it gives power and control to a few. if we move away from that, and there is no representation, no centralisation, who do geocde send the notice to, all 30,000 who map?

target. It would be best if that someone was answerable to the larger
community through a democratic process of some sort, so in my view the
OSMF is a requirement.

I'm not frustrated that we *have* a board, I'm frustrated that the
board we've got doesn't seem effective at communicating its purpose or
much of anything else. They're bad at politics. If they were good at
politics, you wouldn't be disagreeing with the idea of a board because
you'd be thankful for the provision of a quality API and the decisive
resolution of legal threats from trademark trolls.

yes i would still be disagreeing.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitude

--
robin