Hi Steve,

TileMill is not designed for that kind of application (running as a live
server with no cache), though it will work 'a bit'.

So: it doesn't do caching - you'll want a cache. Look at CloudFront,
nginx's cache, varnish, squid, and so on.

Tuning the database: check that you have all possible indexes installed and
the data is in EPSG:900913.

The long-term answer is switching to something designed to be a live-server
(mod_tile, TileStache) or rendering your tiles and serving them from
MBTiles (with TileStache or TileStream).

Tom