Am 24.03.2013 17:59, schrieb Kevin Peat:
> On 24 March 2013 16:38, Tom Hughes <t...@compton.nu> wrote:
>> What makes you think money is the problem?
>>
> Money could help to speed up the process by buying time which people
> may not be able to give as a volunteer. Crowd sourcing map data works
> great because it is fun (for OSMers at least!) but building
> stylesheets is fun for way less people so some inducement may be
> required.

This is exactly what I think. Although I happily map with JOSM, I have almost
no idea about programming or anything more difficult. I rather invest my time
into something which I am good at, and where I can earn money. I would really
like to give something of that money to OSM so that other people who are good
at programming can improve the page for me. Or that somebody might start to do
some unpleasant work if he is compensated for that dull work with money, so
that he can do something fun with it.
Why should I invest so much time a) learning how to program and b) learning to
understand the stuff behind OSM, if somebody who already is proficient in these
things can do it so much more efficient than me?

I wonder why the monetary aspect is not more prominent in open source projects.
Imo, this could solve many many problems in projects, which are stuck in their
development due to lack of manpower.
This divison of labour is the core of our economic system and it works very
well. You pay a hairdresser to get your hair cut, because you do not want to or
you cannot cut your hair yourself. You pay somebody to have a nice book from a
foreign language translated, because it would cost you too much time to learn
the language for yourself.