Hi,

On 03.05.2013 22:12, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
The consensus was that--at least for place relations which are the
target of the said property--OSM relation IDs are stable enough and any
changes in IDs can be easily rectified. Wikidata is a wiki after all.

I am less concerned about the Wikidata side - if they make a bad judgement then it is their mess to clean up. I am however concerned that if more people simply assume that the status quo is there to stay ("IDs are stable enough"), this will put pressure on *us* and limit our flexibility in the future.

I fear that some day soon we'll have a good idea about re-organising our admin bounds that involves large-scale changes, and then people come to us and say "ah, that's unfortunate because we at [insert some other project or product or company] had assumed that relation IDs are relatively stable...".

As soon as everyone who uses our relation IDs as external pointers signs a document that says "I know I am doing something that could potentially backfire and if it does I swear that I will not try to exert pressure on OSM but instead tell my own users that it is entirely my fault for being short-sighted and that I had been warned", then I guess that's fine ;)

Bye
Frederik