Things like these and in general <Google/Apple/insert your favorite
corporation here>-mania really only show how upside down the world is
nowadays.

Does OSM really want press like that? I'm not sure... true, it would
"get the word out" about OSM but is that the "proper" way to publicize?
I think people don't really care that some bridge was removed or added
or whatever, they just see the word "Google" or "Apple" in the headline.

How did Wikipedia become a household name? I don't know but I'm not sure
if it was because they wanted to get silly publicity like this. I would
bet it had more to do with the actual content and quality of their
project.

Of course with Wikipedia it was somehow "easier" because all of their
work gets indexed by search engines and the more links to Wikipedia the
better place in search results = automatic publicity to pretty much
everyone who uses the internet.

Back on topic, I don't think "journalists" who write those
articles/headlines will be interested in OSM any time soon. And that's a
good thing in my book.

Paweł