lsces wrote
> With the arrival of a 'new' set of controls, and the discussion on front
> page, I
> feel that it IS necessary to open this discussion a little wider. Having
> been
> using the new interface on mobile devices I find it much less usable than
> the
> older set-up. But that is not to say that the old one was actually usable!

As always this is somewhat subjective. Whereas on the desktop, I don't yet
see much of an advantage* other than that it is "prettier", I think it has
somewhat improved the usage on a mobile phone. The larger + - buttons make
them more touch friendly (pinch to zoom is very erratic and often doesn't
work at all for me) and the new geolocation functionality is a pretty neat
feature particularly for mobile use! The notes functionality, which can be
useful on a mobile, could probably do with some improvements (the bubbles
are to big to fit on a 5" screen properly), but overall are usable.  iD
pretty much doesn't work at all on a phone, but then editing on a 4" touch
screen or on a 24" monitor with mouse and keyboard really are two very
different beasts and can't really be used in the same design. There you
simply want separate special purpose apps like Vespucci.

One question would therefore be, what functionality of osm.org would you
hope to actually be able to use on a mobile phone?

Browsing the map and adding / checking bugs seem like the most likely
candidates. Imho, those work reasonably well with the new design and can
probably be fixed up with some specific minor tweaks.

For sat-navs and more sophisticated map applications there are a bunch of
special purpose apps, some of which work quite well already.

Kai

* Once the improvements of the share menu go in, that should change and
actually add real functionality to the map, which I am looking forward to.