The relevant change in Leaflet:
https://github.com/Leaflet/Leaflet/pull/1582?source=cc - the new behavior
matches all other map sites and frameworks I can think of, with the
exception of Bing. You can replicate the old behavior by clicking the map
and dragging it to change the center.

There's no easy way to 'get the old behavior back' without doing a core
patch to Leaflet, and given that this is the expected behavior with a clear
'other way to do it', I personally don't think it's a high priority to
change.