Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk
<mailto:les...@lsces.co.uk>> wrote:

    OK I've spent most of the day playing with id trying to make it work in a
    manor that works for me. I'm at the point where I'm working out how to add
    missing icons to the library, and I'm having some trouble finding a suitable
    reference set to work from.
    https://github.com/__gravitystorm/openstreetmap-__carto/tree/master/symbols
    <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/tree/master/symbols>
    https://github.com/__openstreetmap/potlatch2/tree/__master/resources/icons
    <https://github.com/openstreetmap/potlatch2/tree/master/resources/icons>
    seems to be a fairly complete 16x16

Have you looked at https://github.com/mapbox/maki

Have found that one now ;)

And to add to the collection ...
https://github.com/mapnik/Cascadenik/tree/master/openstreetmap which is a much tidier way of handling things.

Saman (from off list) my target is to restore the colour to the icons set on id and I'm looking at the moment to use the same set of icons as are used on the rendered map, which would benefit from something of a tidy-up to allow the easier generation of alternate sets. To be honest I had expected to find a usable set of sources, but it seems not :(

Even carto is missing the icon - power_substation - that started this two days ago! But it's tidily included in josm/P2 and in my mapping area I'm seeing many blank 'bubbles' on id ( god I hate that thing! ) and had expected an easy way to initially just pinch the one off josm and add it to id !!! Not over two days work trying to untie the knots.

Where I am currently at is that at least it seems the naming is consistent? So the block of icons power-* should be understood by id since carto is just missing the substation one. Although the first hit is aerodrome in carto and airfield in id ... I'm ignoring the prefix added in josm/p2 here although when coming up with a 'standard' it would be tidier to include that in the definition as it has already crept into carto with the 'power_' block.

WHERE is the bast place for me to expend time next? Target wise personally I'd like to see both the older josm/p2 icon set and the newer 'inverse' ones as rendering options with a black and white variation for those who seem to think its cool. Part of the start here was to get the colour back into id, and while it's still work in progress I can complete that easily but crudely, and I will switch the id icons to use carto at least where they are missing. The problem I see is that the nice square coloured josm/p2 icons don't work with id, so making that switchable will probably not work? Technically it's just changing the sprite image, so it's only managing the master set of icons to use that needs work.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL