(Sorry Tobias, I meant to send this to the list and pushed the wrong
button!)

There might be a way forward if we separate the concepts of what
something IS (which can be made objective) from what it is CALLED (which
is subjective). In the case of a cafe/restaurant, the type of food they
sell, whether they have seats etc is objective. Each renderer/data
consumer can make their own judgement as to whether it qualifies as a
cafe or a restaurant or whatever they want to call it. Having some kind
of "indication" of what to call it to help lazy renderers might be valid
as a compromise, but surely it would be safer to concentrate on
objective tagging as far as possible.

W.r.t. the semicolon - even though the discussion about where to apply
it is still in full swing, I am sure we can accept that, somewhere,
there will be cases where OSM needs a multi-valued tag. There are even
tags with essentially a 2-D matrix of values (some of which are
missing), e.g. (from the wiki page on lanes):

turn:lanes=slight_left|slight_left;slight_right|slight_right

Can we have at least some technical standards to formalise the
delimiters (semicolon, pipe) and standardise how we handle the cases
where the delimiters occur within the data? Escape with backslashes,
surround in quotes, ...? That would make it easy for data consumers
(including editors) to deal with the values, and separate that from the
higher-level discussion about which tags might use multiple values.

Colin

On 2013-09-24 10:40, Tobias Knerr wrote:

> On 24.09.2013 10:13, Philip Barnes wrote:
>
>> However amenity=pub;hotel makes perfect sense.
>
> Not really, because semicolons in amenity values lack a clear meaning.
> Mappers try to express very different concepts with the semicolon
> construct. For example, you may encounter an "amenity=bank;atm", which
> means that there are two entities, a bank and an atm, and one is inside
> the other. But you may also encounter things like
> "amenity=cafe;restaurant", where there is only one entity, but the
> mapper couldn't decide whether it felt more like a cafe or more like a
> restaurant.
>
> There are probably more uses of the semicolon for amenity alone, and
> while each makes sense to the original mapper and perhaps even a human
> reader who can interpret the intention, a computer doesn't have that
> ability.

Links:
------