Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
    I would like to request that 'start_date' is automatically populated with ad
    the very least, the current date, but with an option to update it based on
    what is being traced from?

if you are refering to the tag "start_date" than I strongly oppose this idea.
Hardly ever will the start_date of an object be the same than the time the
mappers adds it.

I am referring to using 'start_date' is it is currently documented
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:start_date
At a very minimum putting a current timestamp in will give a starting point since we know it is valid today, although a future start date is also possible. It is creating the habit of populating it and encouraging the addition where it is known.

end_date is only required when an existing object is removed from the data.

> If you are refering to changesets or version timestamps then
you are a lucky man, because this is already done. Every single version of every
single osmobject has a precise timestamp with not only date but also hours,
minutes and seconds.

That is a completely different set of data ;)
And since elaboration seems to be required. The history of the way data is created is not the same as the history of how an object came into existence.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL